Its origin can be traced back to the United Kingdom in December 1879. The Klinger Club, a local organization participating in the Cycling Union, set up a dangerous traffic sign on the road leading to the mountain: "To the village of Seck The hills are dangerous". The words written in paint on the board became the earliest recorded traffic sign in history. The first administrative department to set up traffic signs on the roads was the Highways Bureau of Intermoor Moorland in Inglost, England. It had set up a warning sign at the obvious place of Inte Hill in October 1881. In October 1901, after the State Council of Gloucestershire, the British Gas Vehicle Union set up the world's first warning sign for automobiles on Ballysong Hill in Gloucestershire. Later, the relevant British administrative authorities obtained the right to set up traffic signs in accordance with the "Automobile Regulations" frequently issued in 1903, and on March 10th of the same year issued a document "recommended to adopt the following traffic signs" to various local government authorities. That is, draw a white wheel with a straight length of 457 meters (18 inches) on the wooden board to indicate the speed limit; the red circle indicates prohibition; the red triangle indicates warning; the diamond indicates the fork point, dangerous corner, and sharp turn. As not all local administrative authorities accept the above suggestions, there has been a muddy situation in which the road traffic signs are not uniform and are not conducive to the immediate identification of passing car drivers. After 1930, the unified traffic sign order was recognized throughout the UK, making traffic signs more standardized.
The unified standardization of traffic signs is beneficial to everyone's recognition of traffic signs, and better civilized transportation.